Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reality Check!

Reality Number One:
Our baby is going to be BIG! Like we didn't assume this before, but reality is setting in this week. Rolls are developing in places we can't imagine, which makes areas a little harder to clean. Anna Kampman who was born almost 2 1/2 months before Zander weighed more than him at birth, but now they are almost the same size! He turns 2 months next week, but is wearing clothes that are 3-6 months, even some 6-9 month clothes! I'm so curious to see how much he will weigh at his 2 month appointment and see how long he is. This reality is double-sided. Most moms want to make sure there baby is thriving in the growth department. I do want this, however, I can't help but imagine Zander in his Junior High years already. I remember what it was like to be the "biggest" in the class. Both Andy and I had the nickname "Amazon" I'm already imagining having the talks with Zander about the "Bullies" at school calling him names, and him leaving a mall all upset because no clothes will fit him right... But maybe it's just us big girls that get upset with that stuff?!? So I hope Zander falls in love 20-30 years from now with another "Amazon" like me :) Until then, he's Daddy's little man. And he has BIG shoes to fill!
Be aware- x rated picture..... (but it shows some of those rolls I was talking about!)

Reality Number two:
I've always been a little scatter brained but whoa, I took it to another level. I don't know if it's hormones, or being a stay at home mom or what it is. But I swear I have about 5 different To Do lists around the house, and I don't know if I get to any of them during the day. You know what it's like to say I'm going to do the laundry, well on your way to get the laundry, you notice a book that's laying out so you pick it up to put that away, but it catches your eye, so you open it up and start reading it, well as your reading it, you can't go any further until you get a cup of coffee, so you go make some coffee, as you are making coffee you realize that you should do the dishes, then you finally get your cup of coffee and realize you don't have any coffee cream so you go to the store, and on your way out the door you realized you haven't even started laundry yet.... well yeah, that's the story of my time when Zander is napping. I think I will get to this to-do list today and then the cycle starts again... Whoa, any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Reality Number Three:

Babies that are used to nursing prefer that over bottles. We have been trying to give Zander a bottle pry everyother day or so. Somedays it's rough going! Especially if I'm close by. (They are smarter than I thought :) ) We're working on it! and we learned that a bib is neccessary!

Reality Number Four:
I don't know what's going on! I think I got things figured out. As far as naps, sleeping, feeding, and stuff, but then... whopps, guess not! Although, I've been trying to figure this out (and I won't give up!) but I realize it does NO GOOD, getting worked up over it! Sometimes things just don't go as planned. For example this morning.... Usually, I go to playgroup on Tuesday mornings at Missy Isbells at 10. Well we are trading our car in for.. dun dun dun.... a MINIVAN!!!! (more on this later bc this topic will be an entire post! Anyway... we washed our car yesterday and Andy said if it is raining tomorrow don't take it out... Well what do you know, it's been raining ALL day here. So Z and I are just hanging out, usually he takes a nap in the morning, but not this morning because I think his poor little tummy had to be bothering him. When I was feeding him, I heard this big juicy you know what, and next thing I knew, YEP, all over his clothes! How does this happen. Will some company please invent a diaper that does not allow this?!?! Thanks to Erin Thomas who gave me Fels-Naptha (get it at Hy-Vee I guess) it seriously does wonders! and has gotten out all of his stains! Anway... do you see where my reality number 2 is coming in.. scatter brained! I was talking about no knowing what's going on, on a day to day basis! Kinda like this picture is he yawning, crying, gagging, trying to sing a high note....???? WHO KNOWS!!!!

Reality Number Five:
I COULD NOT DO THIS ALONE! There has been a couple times when Andy get's home from work that he leaves shortly after to go play guitar with some of his buddies, or with the band from Grace. These days are super hard for me. I told Andy it reminds me of Parent Teacher conferences! I work all day teaching at school, then I turn around and have PT conferences all night. This is what most teachers dislike about their job. It's a super long day with no breaks, and you just have to turn around the next morning and do it all over again! That's how I feel on the nights when Andy isn't around. It has made me appreciate the times he is here though, and how thankful I am to have a husband who loves to be involved in raising our little man!or according to reality number 1 "Big" man... (see the rolls!) :)
I write this post in complete humility and transparency... Sometimes life isn't always a day at the beach.. sometimes it's staying home on a raining day! But there's always something to look forward to like tomorrow... I get my minivan!

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

love to hear your thoughts and feelings Lisa, your honesty is so refreshing! And I have to tell you I was laughing out loud at "reality #2" because I totally get that! Scatter brained seems to be becoming (be becoming? how can that be right?) one of my personality traits!

love ya, you are doing so so great!

The Isbells said...

#1 - Your baby is a handsome stud and so are you and Andy (well, you're beautiful, they're handsome). I understand to a certain degree that feeling! I was "Amazon" too and about six inches taller then every male until they hit puberty two years later. I feel Fo is going to be a big dude too - hopefully he'll play football and just kick their butts. :)

#2 - This is life with kids. Around 15 months you may start to feel less scatter-brained as they become more independent and then bam! - you're pregnant again and the cycle starts over! :P

#3 - Stick with it! Something will work.

#4 - We missed you! And I'll admit a twinge of jealousy on your minivan! Especially with two kids and two big parents - things are tight!

Kids do that to you - as soon as you get a system figured out for a few days, they change, especially in these first few weeks! For a copule days Willow will nap for like five hours in the afternoon, then yesterday she would only sleep on mommy. What does today hold? I have NO idea!! :) Yes, rigidly flexible is the motto...

#5 - PRAISE GOD FOR OUR HUBBIES!!

The Chidisters said...

Thanks for your post Lisa - all of it well said! We have been having a couple of hard days with Abbie and it is a good reminder to me to hear other moms who don't have it all together or figured out - I have neither. Love you - thanks for sharing your thoughts! Enjoy the minivan!!!

nick&abby said...

Hi! :) first, I'm not a blog stalker... :)
Zander is so sweet!
SO adolescence stinks for EVERYONE big and small...if he is big, he'll just have that much more on the little guy :) Seriously, though, kids are just mean sometimes and always find something to tease their peers about (ugh).
The scatter brained thing? Oh my gosh, the minute I got pregnant I lost all concept of organization and memory...I still am working on getting it back and our little girl is 6 months! :) You eventually learn to go with the flow...unfortunately...no cure...just waiting until your babies are grown up I guess :)
#3?? seriously! you get a some form of routine/schedule down and then all of a sudden they decide they don't like it. So frustrating. Just be patient. :) Addy did that alot when she was hitting her 3 and 6 month growth spurts. She would want to eat again every 2 hours and not nap well...it was a nightmare...we are finally getting back into some sort of routine again...but I know she'll change her mind about it here again sometime:)
Slightly jealous of your minivan.:)
Aren't husbands the best?? I don't know what I would do without Nick. Probably be in some padded cell right now I guess :)
Sorry about the novel. :)

Angela said...

We were just saying last night that Elliana, the bigger of our babies, is probably about the size now at 8 weeks that Zander was at birth. What a cute picture of all his rolls! :-)

I think being scatter-brained is a product of having more stuff to do than there is time to do it in. The first day Travis went back to work after the twins were born, I found myself literally spinning in circles unable to decide what I should do first!

As for the bottle feeding issue, I've learned by experience that there is no such thing as "nipple confusion"--unless you wait too long to introduce the bottle. I made that mistake with both Abel and Amariah. With Isabel and Elliana, though, bottles were introduced while still in the hospital and now they'll both willingly take either bottle or breast.

Yay for minivans and good stain removers. You have to get me more info on that, by the way. I never have found a good stain remover....

Praise God for good husbands! I know what you mean about doing it alone at night after you've done it alone all day. It's not always easy or fun.

I wish we could see you guys and meet Zander sometime! It's good to hear from you in blogland, at least!

Love,
Angela

Unknown said...

i found you!! :) good seeing you today. now i have another blog to read... yay!!

Prachar family said...

Woo Hoo for the minivan!! I so know what you mean about the scatter brains...sorry to tell you it just gets worse from here. I remember a mom telling me that when she was nursing, she felt like her brains came out her...you know! I am pretty sure that is what happened to me!!
WOW, he is getting big and is SO adorable!!

Chelise said...

Yes! Your finally getting your minivan! I remember this discussion on many of our long Columbus Junction road trips. (And Linda never approved :)

I love the picture of Z and his big yawn. Adorable.

So Drew will be 2 years old pretty soon and I still feel the same way you do... scatterbrained. I guess you just get used to feeling that way. For me it was a big adjustment going from full-time worker to stay at home mom. And I appreciate your honesty because some days seriously do stink. And are not fun. And make you want to scream. But we wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, right?!

Anonymous said...

i totally feel the same way about most of these. i'm really thankful that william takes both breat and bottle equally well--that would be taxing if he didn't. and i TOTALLY relate to the "not getting anything done during naps" issue. you aren't scatterbrained, just a mom! :) i too have so much respect for single moms now with curt being away 3 days/wk for work. when he gets home i feel like the world is coming back together. i dont know how so many mothers do it--i have a new level of respect for them! enjoy the blog, lisa, keep writing!

Cameron and Erin said...

Don't you love that soap! I don't know how it works, but no more stains. I am glad you like it. And I think about my little girl being called names all the time as well. It must be a fear from growin gup tall. My nickname was "Gumby" my coach said "I looked like him". Whatever that means. Like I said we will definitely have to introduce our kids to each other when they grow up!