One of the encouraging parts is that in ONE month we saved approx. $100 in groceries and $100 on going out to eat! $200 a month in food alone! (we were able to still go out to eat however by using giftcards) Huge blessing! (I think I should write down on the blessings that God provided through people's gifts) We were also able to transfer one of Andy's paychecks towards student loans plus a CD that matured today toward the loans. It's been really sweet to reflect on God's call to be dependently responsible in this area! We are fully dependant on God to provide and be content in all circumstances yet are also responsible to make good decisions and not be wasteful. We desire to obtain this goal but while we do we pray we will not be stingy by realizing that this money is not even ours to begin with!
It's amazing and encouraging to realize how many times God speaks to us in themes. This month was the issue of finances. We did not plan for this, things just kinda "turned out" this way.
One: Andy decided to take a class at Grace (our church) once a week for 6 weeks. It helps families deal with finances in the home the way God calls us to, while being a support for specific questions.
Two: I got motivated to be a better steward with our money, specifically with food (out to eat and groceries) It's amazing how much we saved and I'm so encouraged to be a better steward with our money after this month!
Three: Preparing for this weekend, a conference we are going to called "Bootcamp: Funding your ministry" Preparing for this has required us to read this book and do a study on what the bible says about money, fundraising, etc. So far it has been really great to prepare and know we will learn to have a new biblical perspective on fundraising after this weekend!
Some tidbits that I learned this month that might be helpful to you if you feel like God is speaking to you in this way as well.
Kalona- Central Discount! Oh Boy! I'm a fan. Thank you Missy for showing me the ropes! If you haven't been there, I would strongly suggest you go. If you want someone to go with, I'm your girl. I made the goal to try not to buy anything that I think will be there, at another grocery store and make one trip there a month. Worth the drive (20 mins. or so?)
Mint.com- a sweet site that you can plug all your assets into, budget, and get email notifications when you go over budget!
The Bible! We just finished a bible study on this. But here's a QUICK little blurp to whet your appetiete. (Isn't it SWEET how the Bible talks about everything in life) Proverbs is loaded! Especially stressing how hard work and perseverence in area of finances are honoring to the Lord.
Ads- Look at em! Plan around them. It's worth the extra couple mins. it takes to do this! I added them on my favorite sites tab on the right!
Coupons- this area I could improve on. Anyone master this? How do you get the coupons? buy a paper? online? I usually take them to the store but then manage to forget to use them after I purchased the item :) I just got this address that may be worth checking out? http://thelinnenkampfamily.blogspot.com/
Shop online sometimes- If you are making a bigger purchase it may be better to look online quick to see if you can find it cheaper. for example, we "downgraded" our phones (saving $60 a month) so we needed to get a car charger and a case to protect the phone, since I drop it numerous times throughout the day! We could have got it at verizon for approx. $70 but got it all online for $15! Crazy I know! Stinkin' Verizon! :s
So although "FFF" is over, I'm going to continue to press on privately. If I come across a good cheap meal, I'll share but I won't share my weekly meal plans for a couple reasons. 1. They are boring most weeks 2. Sometimes combinations are "weird" for some of you. (I'm my mommas girl! creating something out of nothing!) 3. Like you care when we are having "leftovers"!
Please comment if you have any other tidbits that have helped you manage money!
**** Sidenote- If anyone uses formula and could use some, let me know, I have a gift for you :)
My Fave Scriptures!
Malachi 3:10 Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.
Proverbs 30:8-9 ...give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.
1 comment:
I so want you to show me the ropes of Kalona. I would love to learn!
Erin
Post a Comment