Friday, January 29, 2010

FFF- Frugal Food Feburary :)

After hearing on the radio that this family paid off their $100,000 debt in 6 months, I was wondering if we could pay off Andy's PT debt. in 8 months. (28,000) After briefly thinking about it, probably not. Apart of me wants to make some radical changes to make it happen, but the other part of me doesn't want to become an obsessed, no fun, always worrying, crazy woman.
However, there is one thing that I've been feeling like I need to become a better steward with... FOOD. Most of you know how the Bishop's roll in this category! We be lov'n LOTSA food. So to think about cutting back in this area makes my eye brows crinkle! Those of you know me well, know I'm already getting my first wrinkle in this area!
I'm a planner, I usually plan out our meals on Sunday and make my grocery list for the week. I usually plan on one meal out a week (date night) and usually 2 nights of leftovers. (sometimes another if Kampmans give us theres!) So here's my goals this month...


  1. Look at the grocery adds (Thanks Rachelle!)
  2. Plan cheap meals (good bye bagged lettuce, unless on sale of course)
  3. If we go out to eat for date night, we can only use gift cards that we have or that we can use our discover reward $ for.
So there's my plan... Will I stick to it? I hope so! That's part of the reason I'm writing it down!
I'm also going to use this as my planner and share if your interested in joining me on cutting your food bill. All you Iowa City folk, feel free to shop the deals along with me, or use the meals I plan. Maybe in the future we can work together you can shop the ads, plan the menu, and share it with me :)
after each day, I gave some comments in RED
Monday- Pork Roast Recipe- Hy-vee .99 lb. 3 day sale only through Sunday. So hurry! With bread and butter
ahhh, nothing special. I mean it was OK, but the Pork Roast was very fatty! Not impressed!
Tuesday- Leftovers Still have a lot of the pork leftover because we had lots of snacks at Dr. Wenzel's surprise birthday party. Andy had the pork but I ended up having a whole wheat tortilla with PB, honey, and banana after the party. Pork just didn't sound good.
Wednesday- Junior High Pizza Party-(Buying it for my 7 players) Which changes the budget a little. Bummer... oh well they deserve it. As long as they win on Monday and Tues!
Leftover Pizza from party.. add a side salad Guess what! The girls bought it for us :)
Thursday- Breakfast for supper! (pancakes and eggs) didn't have- leftovers again!
Friday- date night (gift card to.. Applebees)
Saturday- Kathy's Whole Chicken in slow-cooker Hy-vee .77 lb. Again only until Sunday.... add some veggies and rice (lostsa leftovers hopefully, freeze some for casseroles?) Awesome! I really liked this! I made it with steamed carrots and rice that I made with some of the marinade from the chicken. A little bit of a hassle with the whole chicken, but worth it for the cost and the leftovers! Will make again!
Sunday- grilled cheese and tomatoes soup- leftover Applebees :) for lunch and snacks at perspectives for supper!

Sunday- Hy-vee List
Whole Chicken
Pork Roast
5 for $1 Kiwi
Carrots 2 bags for 1.49
yogurt- 10 for $5 Yoplait
dishwand thing (here's a question for a comment... Do you use one of these, or are you old fashioned dish cloth, or ?) What's cleaner, seems nasty when I think about this? Anybody?

Farewary Monday morning
Cottage Cheese .88
broccoli .99
oranges- 4 for $1
potatoes- 5 lbs. $1.29
sweet potatoes
sugar
lemons (2)

There you have it! We'll see how well I stick to my list! I'll try to resist the snack mixes! Until next week... check out the good deals at fareway.... Mom; notice the wieners are only $.45! It's a sign!


Anybody know what pet milk is? weird!

5 comments:

The Chidisters said...

Great post! Thought I would pass along a little piece of frugal FYI - if you are ever at Target, buy a galon of milk (or 2.) I don't know why, but it is the cheapest milk I have found. Weird I know. I never go out of my way to get it but if I am there I always try to remember to buy a gallon. Also, to answer your sponge, scurbber, dish towel question. We just use a wash cloth and then have a sponge with a non-stick scrubby on the back of it for harder stuff. I like using a washcloth because then I can just throw it in the wash. With sponges and scrubby things I just feel like they get gross. Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth of info!

The Isbells said...

To follow up on Amanda's post, Aldi's milk is even cheaper. :) Also, I shop the Bent-N-Dent in Kalona to get things simply just dirt cheap (cereal for $1, canned goods $35, dressing $.75 and so on). You really need to be there before 8:00 to snag the best deals - if you are feeling adventurous and would like to double-date (as in, you, me, Willow and Zander) I would love to show you the ropes! :) Also, bulk buying grains, herbs/spices, cheese, meat, etc.
I use a dishwand for dishes that can't go in the dishwasher and a cloth to wipe up the counters. :)
Love ya!

Bridget said...

I love meal planning! Way to go Lisa! I'm excited to keep track of your meals on here- give me some good ideas! Missy- I would LOVE to try Bent and Dent with you some time. I've been thinking about it lately b/c Liam's morning nap is a little more "iffy." Will you let me know when you go and we can meet you there! Thanks girl!

Lisa said...

Yeah, Aldi totally! I'll pry go there whenever I need the stapels (milk, pasta, eggs, bread, ceral, frozen whatever!) Love Aldi. Love the concept too, bring your own bags, no messes in the parking lot with carts. But it's really easy for me to stray off my list when I go there. So I just need to be careful! Thanks for the comments ladies.. keep em coming!

Amy Fellows said...

Something that's helped us a ton is coupons. Buy a sunday paper every Sunday + online coupons. It takes even more planning, but the rule is: Only buy what's on major sale + coupon. Anything that doesn't have a coupon-must be a staple food. We love Aldis and we can always pick you up stuff at Sams club too! Our biggest favorite at sams is the shredded cheese which is about half off? I'm not sure, but it's cheap! We freeze it and go through it fast. It's work-but we honestly go to Target, farewary, and aldis every week! I think our bill was cut in half when we began doing lots of this stuff :) Nice for paying off debt!!